- 94% of pet owners say their animal pal makes them smile more than once a day.
- The American Veterinary Dental Society states that 80% of Dogs and 70% of cats show signs of oral disease by age 3.
- Cats have 32 muscles in each ear.
- Cats have 4 rows of whiskers.
- Cats have no collarbone, which is one reason they are so flexible.
- Cats spend approximately 30% of their waking hours grooming themselves.
- “American Shorthair” is the designation reserved for pedigreed cats, while similar-looking cats of mixed or unknown origin are called “domestic shorthairs.”
- Feline’s jaws cannot move sideways.
- Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs have about ten!
- Cat whiskers are so sensitive they can detect the slightest change in air current.
- Cats have 26 baby teeth and 30 permanent teeth.
- Dalmatians are born without spots! They are born with plain white coats with their first spots appearing after they are 1week old.
- Dogs sweat through their foot pads to help keep them cool. They also keep cool by panting.
- Greyhounds are the world’s fastest dogs with the ability to reach up to 45 mph.
- Every dog has a unique nose print with no two alike.
- The Basenji, an African wolf dog, does not bark in a normal way but may yodel or scream when excited!
- Snoopy, from Charles M. Schultz’s “Peanuts” comic strip, is a beagle.
- A dog’s sense of smell is 1000 times greater than a human!
- Nine percent of dog owners will have a birthday party for their pet.
- Dogs have 28 baby teeth and 42 permanent teeth.
- Fleas can jump 350 times its body length.
- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards.
- Crocodiles cannot stick their tongue out.
- Starfish do not have a brain.
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- Polar bear skin is black!
- The only mammal capable of flight is the bat.
- A newborn kangaroo is the size of a lima bean.